Saturday, November 18, 2006

Taking a Thanksgiving Break

I thought I'd take a little break from Thanksgiving chit chat and talk about something else, especially with Winter and all of it's wonderful holiday's.

Have you ever thought about the way your house smells? Is this a question you even want to contemplate? If you are a vigorous or even moderate homemaker, your house most likely smells like whatever you clean with. And thus I give you this idea, gleaned from Brocantehome, in which Alison proposes giving your house a signature scent.

When I read of this idea I though it was brilliant. I make my own cleaners anyway and it would be easy enough to add wonderful fragrence to them. However, I of course had to go one step furthur. With my love of the Seasons and the way they are different, each having its own uniqueness, I decided to find a signature scent for each Season in my home. I have chosen lavendar for Spring, orange (or lemon) for Summer, rosemary for Autumn, and peppermint for Winter. Think about the scents you like and how they may fit into your home for a signature scent.

My favorite is a very simple recipe. It's for carpet fresher (like Love My Carpet, ect.) Simply fill a container (an old parmesean cheese container works fabulously!) with baking soda. Add 11-15 drops of essential oil of your choice. Shake. Let sit overnight. To use, simple sprinkle generously on the carpet and let set an hour. Vacuum up.

2 comments:

Darla said...

Funny, I was just talking about this with my grown daughter.

My Mom lives in another state, daughter and I drove to visit her. When we arrived the garage door was open so we went in that way. We were standing in the garage and my daughter sort of gasped and said "Oh my gosh, if you blindfolded me I'd know I was at my Gram's house. This is always how her house smells". And that is from the garage, hahaha.

It smells clean, don't know exactly with what... but clean. Maybe like some sort of laundry detergent. Her washer/dryer isn't in the garage either by the way.

Mom has lived in several homes during my daughters lifetime and they always smell the same.

I'll just add that Mom's house is one of the cleanest you'll find. Mine is reasonably clean and the same daughter said that *clean gene* was pretty diluted by the time it got to her, LOL!

Darla

Lena said...

What a great idea. I love your centerpiece ideas as well.
Thank you for taking the time to share them.