Thursday, November 09, 2006

Well, guess what I did today? I made the pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. Already?, you may ask. But of course! Making pies ahead of time is one of the things you can do to get ahead of the game. Other things you can make ahead, freeze, and serve on Turkey day without stressing are stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls, and other desserts. Heck, you can cook the turkey, slice and freeze it too, but I like to cook that on the actual day.

Here's the pumpkin pie recipe I used today:

1 9" graham cracker pie crust
1 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 small box instant vanilla pudding (I used sugar
free)
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350*. Whisk together the pumpkin, sugar, egg, and milk until well blended. Add in the pudding mix. Mixture will start to thicken. Pour into crust. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes. Allow to cool. Cover (I used the plastic piece that comes with the crust) and freeze. Take out the day before serving and place in the refrigerator to thaw. Serve with real whipped cream for a homemade touch!

3 comments:

Lena said...

Hi Jenn,
I'm so happy to hear you enjoy the doll. Wow, you've been busy getting ready for Thanksgiving. I'm so impressed! What a good idea to bake ahead and freeze your pies. It's one of the most time consuming parts of the holiday and you're already done!
Best wishes!

Darla said...

Pumpkin pie is a favorite of mine and your recipe is one I've not seen before. Think you could freeze it with one slice missing???

Darla

Homekeeper Mom said...

MMMM..............that sounds yummy!

~candi