Sunday, January 07, 2007

Sunday Mornings Remembered



When I was a little girl, Sunday's almost always meant pancakes. Mom would usually make the batter, but Dad was the one who was usually in charge of the flipping. Mom would make them on occassion and when she did she would make fun shapes: my initals, Mickey Mouse heads, snowmen. Simple things like that. I remember eating them off of a plate my Grandmother had made me. Ceramic, it was shaped like Donald Duck's head and had a matching mug that I drank "coffee" out of. This was really about 1/4 cup of coffee with some sugar and the rest of the mug filled with milk. Although sometimes I would opt for hot cocoa instead. I also remember how I used to eat pancakes. Oh, for awhile during my "younger" years, I ate them with syrup, but as I grew older my tastes changed. The perfect way to eat a pancake in my opinion, was to slather it with peanut butter! Delicious! So what is the point of this trip down memory lane? The point is, I remember because it was made special and this is what I strive to do with my own children. But I want to make our own special memories. I don't want to eat pancakes on Sunday because that's my memory :) So, I am trying to come up with a special Sunday breakfast. I think I have decided on doughnuts. These are not something we eat on a regular basis, yet the kids love them. And using canned biscuits makes the process simple and easy. You just cut a hole in the middle of the biscuit (cheap is the best!) and fry both. I have an honest to goodness doughnut cutter, but you can use a bottle cap or something similar. You can see a picture of the prepped doughnuts above. After frying, drain on a paper towel. Now, you can shake them in powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, plain sugar, you can glaze them or frost them. As an added treat, you can leave them whole, fry, and than fill with jelly or even pudding for an evening treat. Below you can see the after of my efforts. Golden brown, puffed doughnuts with powdered sugar. The kids loved them!



































No comments: